Thursday, July 27, 2006

Mr. Pessoa

ON FIRST LOOKING into Honig's Pessoa

This man was three or five or many poets,
All with their own names, all with their own lives,
Writing in Portuguese and broken English sonnets,
A pagan, a parnassian....
....
And that which poetry is all about,
The metaphysician sick of metaphysics,
SOLEMN INVESTIGATOR OF USELESS THINGS.
Fernando Pessoa, as you saluted Whitman
With one hand tied behind you back.
I salute you, Honig and Octavio Paz.
(KARL SHAPIRO)

Poema escrito por Karl Shapiro na contracapa da tradução de O Guardador de Rebanhos de Alberto Caeiro, por Edwin Honig e Susan Brown , New York 1971, 1985,1986.
Destaco este livro por ter sido pioneiro no esforço de dar a conhecer a obra de Fernando Pessoa pela voz de Alberto Caeiro, sempre surpreendente (e não teria que ser assim ?) quando o relemos.
Eis o célebre n.9. Sou um guardador de rebanhos:

IX. I'M A KEEPER OF SHEEP

I'm a keeper of sheep.
The sheep are my thoughts
And my thoughts are all sensations.
I think with my hands and feet
And with my nose and mouth.

To think a flower is to see it and smell it
And to eat a fruit is to taste its meaning.

That's why on a hot day
When I ache from enjoying it so much,
And stretch out on the grass,
Closing my warm eyes,
I feel my whole body lying full length in reality,
I know the truth and I'm happy.


Conhecendo a totalidade da obra de Pessoa sabemos como é mentiroso este último verso: nunca o poeta se sentiu dono da verdade e ainda menos desse impossível e indefinível sentimento de ser feliz. Só não mente quando escreve o célebre poema do Fingidor.
Pessoa desdobra-se para se apagar? Para que, no excesso, se possa finalmente reduzir a um único centro, o da sua consciência ?

Continuo com a tradução de Honig, para que os meus leitores de língua inglesa se deliciem. Dos meus comentários eles não precisarão.

XXX. IF THEY WANT ME TO BE A MYSTIC, FINE.I'M A MYSTIC

If they want me to be a mystic, fine, I'm a mystic.
I'm a mystic, but only of the body.
My soul is simple and doesn't think.

My mysticism is not wanting to know.
It's living without thinking about it.

I don't know what nature is: I sing it.
I live on a hilltop
In a solitary whitewashed cabin.
And that's my definition.


This translation was awarded the prize of THE POETRY SOCIETY OF AMERICA

No comments: